01 August 2013

WWE.com: Wrestlers' wrestlers on wrestlers' wrestlers

What exactly is a “wrestlers’ wrestler”?

The vague term is often employed by color commentators, ring veterans and historians to identify certain performers that practice their craft in a very specific manner. But does a “wrestlers’ wrestler” refer to a performer’s adaptability in the ring, their knowledge of styles, their toughness or none of the above?

WWEClassics.com set out to learn what a “wrestler’s wrestler” actually is by talking with CM Punk, Daniel Bryan, Chris Jericho, William Regal and other men in the WWE locker room who are often referred to as such. They each spoke in-depth about the men they look up to as “wrestlers’ wrestlers.” And each of these “wrestlers’ wrestlers” gave their own definitions – some similar to others’, some completely divergent of their peers’ views. But one thing’s for sure: these guys know their stuff.

CM Punk

ON BEING CONSIDERED A WRESTLER’S WRESTLER BY FINLAY AND WILLIAM REGAL:
Get out of here. Really? To me, that’s very flattering, because those are all people that I would say are wrestlers’ wrestlers.

ON SPORTS-ENTERTAINMENT VS. WRESTLING:
We like to use the word sports entertainment. I’ve always said wrestler. I wanted to be a wrestler when I was a kid. I think what I do now is wrestling.

ON THE WRESTLERS’ WRESTLERS THAT INSPIRED HIM:
Bret Hart, Dynamite Kid — those are the guys that I’ve always been drawn to. I think they are a lot less flashy. There’s more of a mean streak in a wrestlers' wrestler. They really know how to take it to the mat and grind a guy out and that’s what I’ve always been into.

ON WHY FANDANGO IS A WRESTLERS’ WRESTLER:
He knows how to wrestle. Guy’s been with the company for a very long time and he got a break doing something flamboyant and I think it’s great. But, over time, you’re going to find out that he can go. Bell to bell, he can wrestle. You’re going to find that out.